ICAS Hong Kong Office

Banner Image

About Us


About ICAS

Q:    What subjects and year levels are tested in Hong Kong and Macau?

Mathematic in Chinese
Mathematic in English
Science in Chinese
Science in English

Q:    What do labels A, B, C, D etc on the ICAS test booklets represent?
A:    ICAS are used in a growing number of countries. As year-level names vary across countries it is simpler to code the ICAS booklets as A, B, C, D etc and provide a key to identify the relevant year-level for each country.

        Paper to year level conversion table      

        Hong Kong and Macau Year Level Equivalents

Paper A
Paper B
Paper C
Paper D
Paper E
Paper F
Paper G
Paper H
Paper I
Paper J
Year 3
Year 4
Year 5
Year 6
Year 7
Year 8
Year 9
Year 10
Year 11
Year 12

Q:    Could students write answers on extra paper for the ICAS Writing Assessment?


A:     Students should not be encouraged to write beyond the lines that are provided in the Answer Booklet, so it is not appropriate to include additional sheets of paper for written responses. Additionally Answer Booklets are scanned so that responses can be retrieved should any queries arise. Any writing outside of the Answer Booklet cannot be scanned.


Q:    Do students have sufficient time to complete the Writing assessment?

A:     Our experience is that the time allocated is sufficient for students to produce a concise and coherent piece of writing. If students feel they need to produce a longer piece of work, they may feel rushed to complete the task and tend to make more mistakes in their writing, affecting their scores in the areas of Syntax, Punctuation and Spelling. Time is allocated for editing and our experience shows that students who do review and edit their work are able to correct errors and improve their writing in general.

Entering ICAS
Q:    What is the entry fee per subject in Hong Kong and Macau?
A:     Teachers can browse the School Portal and login to access the information. Parents and students can contact your schools directly.


Entry Fee (HKD)
Mathematics in Chinese
Mathematics in English
Science in Chinese
Science in English

Q:    How do we enter?
A:     Entries can be accepted only from schools on an official ICAS HK entry form (sent to schools in the ICAS Entry Information pack 3 months before the official closing date of entry).

Q:    What Year Level should a student enter?
A:     Students must sit only the paper for the Year Level in which they are currently enrolled.

Q:    What happens if my school can’t participate in a particular ICAS on the set period?
A:     Under special circumstances, permission may be given to a school to participate in ICAS on an alternative date. All requests for an alternative ICAS sitting date must be requested in writing by the school no later than four weeks before the official sitting date.

Q:    For students who have learning difficulties, any extra time or special arrangements will be made for sitting ICAS?

A:     Students with learning difficulties can be allowed extra time if they are allowed extra time for other public examinations. The time allocation should be comparable with that of the public examinations.


Q:    Can we make additional entries after sending out the schools’ entry form(s)? 
A:     Yes, schools can make additional entries provided the ICAS entries closing date has not passed. Dispatch of test materials after the closing date will incur postage and handling fee.

Q:    When will we receive the test papers?
A:    ICAS test materials are delivered by courier to your school around TWO WEEKS BEFORE the assessment period and must be signed off by the school.  ICAS HK Office will provide one extra test booklet for each school year in which there are entries. This extra booklet is the teacher’s reference copy and is supplied free of charge.

Q:    Can I enter my child into ICAS independently of his/her school?
A:     No. Entry into ICAS is school-based only. We are unable to accept parent requests to enrol their child into an ICAS subject.

Q:    My child’s school has closed entries for an ICAS. Can I enter independently of the school?

A:     No. Entry into ICAS is school-based only. We are unable to accept parent requests to enrol their child into an ICAS subject. 


Year Levels

Q:    Can student/my child sit an ICAS in the year level above (or below) his/her school year?
A:     No. Students must sit the ICAS paper for the year level in which they are currently enrolled for that subject. Students must only attempt one year level paper.

        The table below lists the comparable year levels in HK and Macau and the corresponding ICAS Paper.


Year Level in HK and Macau
International Year Level
Mathematic in Chinese
Mathematic in English
Science in Chinese
Science in English


Q:    How much for each assessment in Hong Kong and Macau?
A:     Teachers can browse the School Portal and login to access the information. Parents and students can contact your schools directly.

Q:    Can I make a combined payment for all ICAS entries through the school?

A:     Yes.


Q:    Can I pay by credit card independently?
A:     No. Parents must pay the entry fee to the schools.

Schools are required to consolidate all fees received and submit one cheque to ICAS HK Office. All entry fees are non-refundable.

Education and Analysis

Q:    Who writes ICAS papers?
A:     Questions used in ICAS papers are written by experienced classroom teachers and subject matter experts. These assessment item writers utilise a wide range of materials and resources to ensure the questions are current, relevant and engaging for the student.

Q:    What is the review process for choosing questions?
A:     All items are peer reviewed by an external panel. This panel consists of practising classroom teachers and subject matter experts (including university academics). This panel considers the validity, reliability and currency of each assessment item. Once ratified by the external panel, the questions are placed in tests. All tests maintain a balance of items taking into account the difficulty of the questions and the strands, topics and skills tested.

Q:    How can a student or school prepare for the test? 

A:     See the Preparation section of this website for information about the ICAS subjects. Sample questions are available to give an indication of the skills and knowledge being assessed.

Past papers can be purchased at ICAS HK Office for test preparation. Past paper costs HK$35 per test per subject per each year level with answer key while stock last.

Q:    How do I know that ICAS is relevant for my child?
A:     Each ICAS subject has been carefully researched by EAA staff so that the test content is relevant to what is taught. The 'assessment framework' guides show details of how this works for each ICAS subject.

Q:    What information will I get about my child’s achievements?
A:     Parents and students will receive a report from EAA, distributed by the school. This report provides accessible diagnostic information about the student’s performance and highlights any strengths or weaknesses.

Q:    What information will I get about the students in my class?
A:     Schools will receive a report providing accessible diagnostic information about individual and year level strengths and weaknesses. Schools also receive detailed analyses of individual and year level responses in order of item difficulty.

Q:    Why EAA re-use some questions from previous years’ papers and why do the same questions appear in various papers?A:     At the School and State level we draw comparisons between each year level to see how different cohorts progress over time. In order to do this we need to know how much more difficult one test paper is over another. By comparing the information obtained from a few questions that appear in two different papers we can get a good indication of the relative difficulty of each paper. This process is called 'equating' and is applied to test papers across year levels (called Vertical Equating) and also across calendar years (Horizontal Equating).

Past Papers

Q:    Where can I buy the past papers in HK?
A:    Past papers for ICAS English, Mathematics in English, Science in English and Writing are available from 2006 onwards. And past papers for ICAS Mathematics in Chinese and Science in Chinese are available from 2010 onwards. Past papers are available for purchase at ICAS HK Office and cost HK$35 per test per subject per each year level with answer key while stocks last.

Q:    Can schools or parents request to purchase past papers in PDF or electronic format?
A:     The ICAS past papers are only offered in hardcopy for purchase. Past papers are not available for purchase and download in PDF or other electronic format due to copyright.


Q:    Where will results be sent?
A:     All reports and certificates are sent to the school in the first instance. Results are available online; however, parents and students will need their TAP ID to login. The TAP ID is printed on the student reports. The TAP ID is valid for all ICAS subject results.

Q:    When will we receive the results?
A:     Results will be sent out to schools between around 8 weeks after the completion of whole assessment period.

Q:    What should school do if the login password is lost?
A:     If school has misplaced or does not have login password, teacher can visit the online password retrieval page and the password will be e-mailed to your school's administration e-mail address.

Q:    Are the results available online?
A:     Yes. EAA has created a secure, interactive site that allows you to view and analyse your school and student data.

Schools  :   Login with your EAA school code and password to access your results online. Please note the results are available only to participating schools, their principals and the ICAS subject co-ordinators.

Parents and Students  :   Login with your TAP ID which is printed on the student reports. Your TAP ID is valid for all ICAS subject results.

Q:    Can I get my child’s results over the phone?
A:     No. Due to privacy policy, results or student details are not disclosed over the phone.

Q:    Can I get my child’s results directly from ICAS HK Office?
A:     No. Results are dispatched directly to the school. Please see your school for individual student results.   

Q:    Can I request for extra test booklets for future reference?
A:     All questions (items) are available online at Student Results Online

  • Parents and students can login to their results with the TAP ID and PIN printed at the bottom of right corner of the student report.
  • Each question can be viewed by clicking on the PDF.

Please login to Student Results Login with the TAP ID and PIN printed on the bottom of the student result letter. To view each question:
       1. Click on the ‘Analysis’ link in the left hand navigation bar
       2. Click on the Question Content or Question (number) link in the results analysis table.
       3. A separate window will launch containing an image of the question from the test booklet.

To obtain a test booklet in hardcopy, the parent can purchase one when it becomes available in the past paper.

Q:    When can I get copies of test booklets for the current year ICAS tests?

A:     This year’s ICAS papers can be purchased at ICAS HK Office and cost HK$35 per test per subject per each year level with answer key after SEVEN Months of assessment completion of the years.


Q:    If there has error in the certificate or report such as name or school grade or no certificate or report hard copy received, can school request for re-print?
        If student lost the certificate or report, can student request for re-print?

A:     Schools or students can request for re-print certificates or reports with charge of HK$50. Schools or students must provide the following details for data verification –

  • School Name
  • School Code
  • Incorrect Name of Student
  • Correct Name of Student
  • Year of assessment with Year Level
  • Subject and Version (Chinese or English version)

The re-print process will take 3 weeks. ICAS HK Office will send to schools by mail or parents can pick up the certificates and report in the office with acknowledgment.

Eligibility for Awards

Q:    What is the grade distribution for High Distinction, Distinction and Credit certificates?
A:     All students who enter ICAS receive a Certificate and Student Report. A certificate is awarded on the following basis for each subject assessed:

        High Distinction Certificate
        The top 1% of entrants in each year level in each participating country.

        Distinction Certificate
        The next 10% of entrants in each year level in each participating country.

        Credit Certificate
        The next 25% of entrants in each year level in each participating country.

        Merit Certificate
        The next 10% of entrants in each year level in each participating country.

        Participation Certificate
        All other students receive a Participation Certificate

        Medals are only awarded when a top score in each year level in each locale is judged to be sufficiently meritorious. The awarding
        of all medals and certificates is at the entire discretion of EAA.


Q:    Is the ICAS result useful for applying UNSW Foundation Studies?
A:     Yes. UNSW Global is pleased to offer UNSW Global Hong Kong and Macau Special Award. This is an award of A$1,000 in the form of a UNSW Foundation Studies fee waiver, to students in Hong Kong and Macau who achieved a distinction or high distinction in the ICAS and wish to continue their tertiary studies in Australia.

Further information about the UNSW Global Hong Kong and Macau Special Award, including conditions of the award, eligibility and application procedure, can be obtained from aec Education Consultancy:

        Email       :        enquiry@aecl.com.hk

        Tel            :      +852 2598 6166

Q:    Is the ICAS result useful for applying Australian universities?
        Will I award bonus points if I have participated in ICAS?

       Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) Bonus Points

       ICAS medallists are eligible for bonus points when they apply to undertake an undergraduate degree at the University of New South Wales.

       For Australian students this means that when you apply to the Universities Admissions Centre, you should also apply to the Elite Athletes and Performers Program* through which you may receive credit for one bonus point on the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR), formerly known as Universities Admission Index (UAI), that you achieved on matriculation in Year 11 and Year 12 at High School. The maximum number of bonus points available to any applicant under the Elite Athletes and Performers Program is five (5) points. These five (5) points are for medals won in the last two years of a student’s high school education.

       For international students, ICAS medal winners will be eligible for bonus point consideration of one ATAR point per medal, up to a maximum of five (5) points. These bonus points will be awarded on the basis of ICAS medals won in F5 (Year 11) and F6 (Year 12) and added to the UNSW assessment of the ATAR equivalence of your national school qualification.

       This means that ICAS medals could now make a significant difference in your prospects of gaining a place in a UNSW degree course where entry is highly competitive.

       For information on the Elite Athletes and Performers Program go to http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/undergrad/ced/eliteathletes.html  and click on the Elite Athletes and Performers Bonus Points table.

       * The Elite Athletes and Performers Program does not apply to the Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery program.


Q:     Can I make copy of the ICAS Test Papers? Will EAA reprint those running out papers?
A:     Most ICAS papers contain at least one image and/or text that has been purchased from a third party. The third party gives EAA permission to their images and/or texts by signing a copyright agreement.
This agreement stipulates that we can only use their image and/or text in a limited print run (which is stipulated on the agreement) and does not cover EAA making these papers available on the internet. Once we run out of a particular past paper then we are not permitted to reprint unless we apply for and receive copyright permission again. This is a timely an expensive process so we have not done so in the past. As such EAA can not supply the papers as PDF’s for downloads as we would be in breach of copyright.